Friday, August 04, 2006

Hello to all. I am going to run a test of my race report here before posting it elsewhere. I was always taught if you can't say somethingnice, don't say anything...so this will be shorter that usual.
( Idon't ALWAYS follow this advice however)
Steve's Run July 29, 2006.

My 2nd 10k ever.

I decided to do this race on a whim, so I wouldn't say I was trainingfor it. I am however training for Chicago...We all know I am notspeedy & I can live with that. It was hot hot hot...triple digits bymidday. 100% humidity...we all know, the whole U.S. has been gripped
in this heatwave.The race started at 9 a.m. I guess the reasoning behind this is thatmany schools from another time zone participate. Personally, I don't think this is a good reason. It should have started at 8 a.m.My friend Cheri and I arrived at 8 a.m. picked up our race numbers and headed for the port a pottie. Cheri was very tentative about running this race. She doesnt do the heat well anyway & I had strong armed her into this. There were 4 races. a 5k racewalk, a 5k a 10k and a 1 mile fun run.They all started at 9:00. Cheri & went to the back of the crowd andstood by the 11 minute pace sign. The only people behind us wererunning the fun run. They looked to be in about 1st grade with theirparents.We started out slow. I was fairly hot and decided just to take iteasy. at the one mile mark 12 min. 2 mile mark 24...I stayed right on 12 min. until about 4 1/2 miles. At that point I started taking walk breaks. Unknown to me Cheri decided to just run the 5k. Alotof people did this or just plain dropped out during the race. I didn't know where she was & I'm sure the look on my face was priceless when I came around the last bend and saw her standing there.Believe it or not, I passed lots of people who looked worse off than I did. Also, the ambulance came and took someone away right aroundthe 5k mark. I never heard what it was all about.My finishing time was 1 hour 20 min. and some seconds. I didnt carry a watch and only found my time online today as I forgot to look at the finish line. My other 10k was 1:05:47...a year ago at Sunburst.We stuck around afterwards for awhile. A friend from school won the 5k racewalk with a time of 26 something.I think I need to do something different with training. I just don'tknow what it might be.

2 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger TriZilla said...

Okay. First of all, it was hotter than Hades, woman! Be proud that you got out there and finished! I'm SO PROUD of you! I bet EVERYONE that day had much slower times than they are used to.

Second of all... You're training for a marathon, right? Right. :)Sooo, you're in great marathon shape... which means you're not super speedy like you were a year ago (um, and you're not *supposed* to be). It's all good!

You entered a race, ran on a super hot day, you FINISHED, and now you get to carry on for Chicago!

WAY TO GOOOOOO!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Andy Emerson said...

Good job on sticking to the 10K in the heat! I agree the time was too late for a race in this terrible heat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home